The purpose of the Building Bylaw is to provide for the administration and enforcement of The Construction Codes Act, The Building Code Regulations, the National Building Code of Canada for Buildings, ministerial interpretations and Saskatchewan Construction Standards Appeal Board orders and building official orders within the local authority.

The Construction Codes Act (the CCA) came into force on January 1st, 2022 and repealed and replaced The Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act as the legislation which governs construction standards in Saskatchewan. Municipalities have always been responsible for administering and enforcing building and energy codes for buildings in the jurisdiction however, under the old Act farm residences were included in the definition of farm buildings and therefore exempt from these codes. Under the new CCA farm buildings are still exempt but residences are no longer considered a farm building and therefore these standards will apply to all new builds and major structural renovations that occur to any farm residences after January 1st, 2022. Municipalities were given a certain period of time to adopt their own bylaw otherwise those that did not have a valid building bylaw by the deadline would be subject to the model building set out in The Building Code Regulations.

  • Construction of a new house or major renovations/additions to an existing house
  • RTMs or other types of houses being moved onto a property
  • Any type of Commercial Building
  • Farm buildings used as follows:
    • For the housing of livestock
    • For the production, storage or processing of primary agricultural crops and feeds
    • For the storage and maintenance of equipment or machinery associated with an agricultural operation

In order to apply for a building permit, you will need to complete a building permit application. Application forms are available from the website or from the R.M. office. Some of the information required on the application includes:

  • Applicant name and address
  • What you are applying for as well as a description of the existing use of the land/buildings a description of the proposed development
  • Legal Land Description
  • Estimated starting and completion dates
  • Site & building drawings including dimensions and land features
  • Technical reports or studies may be requested depending on the type and location of the proposed development

Once the R.M. receives your application, it will be forwarded to the building inspector who will then review it. He will either approve your application or request more information.

The permit application fee is $100.00 plus the building official inspection fees. All fees must be paid before the permit will be issued.

The length of time it will take for your permit to be reviewed and approved will depend on the complexity of your project. To be safe you should apply for your building permit as soon as you have all of the information required and you know when your project will begin. The building officials recommend submitting your application a minimum of 14 days before construction is scheduled to start, however turnaround times can be quicker. Ensuring that your application is complete and includes both building and site drawings will help ensure a quicker approval timeframe.

A Development Permit acknowledges the use of land and buildings and its compliance with the Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw. An approved Development Permit is required in almost all instances in order to construct, erect, place, alter, repair, renovate or reconstruct a building/structure on your property. If you begin development without the required approvals, the R.M. has the ability under the Zoning Bylaw to issue a Order of Compliance, or other means of enforcement.

A Building Permit is separate from a Development Permit. A Building Permit refers to building construction and compliance with the National Building Code of Canada and Uniform Building & Accessibility Standards. Almost every application for a Development Permit also requires the submission of a Building Permit. Please contact the R.M. Planning Department to determine whether or not your proposed project needs a Development Permit, a Building Permit, or both.