- Residents are required by bylaw to obtain a building or demolition permit for certain projects.
How do I get a building permit?
Building and demolition permits can be purchased at the Town Office. They must be approved by Council before work commences. All work must also be approved by the Building Inspector before, throughout and upon completion of the project.
When do I need a building permit?
- Renovations that involve changes to the structure or systems of your home:
- New buildings over 100 square feet
- Garages and carports
- Porches, decks and roofs of decks
- Steps over 2 feet high
When do I need a demolition permit?
Any assessable (taxable) property or portions thereof require a demolition permit.
How much are permits?
Permits are $25.00 and increase depending on the size and value of the project.
What are some examples of projects I do not need a building permit for?
- Cabinet installation
- Replacement of windows and doors (provided the opening size is not changing)
What happens if I don’t get a permit before work commences or receive proper approvals from the Building Inspector?
- Stop work orders being issued
- Work being required to be re-done or demolished
- Check with the Town Office for more details before commencing work.
Please note that additional permits may be required from utility providers and the Health Inspector, depending on the type of work.